Sunday, January 4, 2015

Keeping it Simple for a Healthier New Year

Every year I set a lofty weight-loss goal or tell myself I’m going to save hundreds of dollars for my dream vacation, but somehow come March, April, May I realize I actually gained 3 lbs and I may have saved enough for a new toaster. No matter how great my intentions or how motivated I feel while making my resolutions, I never seem to stick to them.  This year I decided to keep things simple and start by setting small, realistic goals.
Be Specific
Instead of making a resolution to be “healthier,” I decided to get specific. It’s a lot easier to keep yourself accountable for something that’s specific, measurable or trackable, than it is to stick to a generalized statement.  I enjoy walking and I know it’s a great workout so I decided an attainable goal was to walk 1.5 miles at least 4 days of the week.  I took my schedule into consideration and determined 4 days a week was a reasonable goal – I would have to stay dedicated to making time for my walk, but I wasn’t asking too much from myself.  I also set a goal for distance because I have a tendency to slack when it comes to exercise.  By telling myself ahead of time I’m going to do at least 1.5 miles, I can gauge how long I’ll be at the park or the gym and I’ll also be able to track my progress. I’m hoping to better my time each month.
In addition to my walking goals for 2015, I decided to get specific with how I plan to save money this year.  It’s easy to say you’ll watch what you spend at the mall or the grocery store but it’s nearly impossible to measure a goal so vague.  I decided to get specific and target one of my guilty pleasures… Starbucks coffee. As much as I love my coffee breaks or grabbing a latte while I run some errands, those $3-$6 drinks add up. I decided to cut Starbucks and Dunkin out of my budget for the year and instead decided to buy my own gourmet coffee to make at home. Now I can save money and calories by skipping the fancy syrups and the added whipped cream.
644a82a1268fff66c0b0b0ecf0a494f6
Stay Accountable
I told my girlfriend who walks with me from time to time about my goals for the year and she was motivated to make my walking challenge her own.  Having someone to keep you accountable is important, but finding someone to workout with you and push you when you start slacking off is even better! I also told my hubby about my goal to cut out my Starbucks addiction and he agreed to hold me to it.  Now there’s no going back – if he finds Starbucks cups in our trash can or sees the charges add up on our debit card I’ll be in trouble.
Re-Evaluate Your Goals
If I can stick to my walking plan and no Starbucks for a month, I plan to re-evaluate my goals to see how I can continue challenging myself to become healthier.  I’d love to be able to go from walking to jogging and eventually my goal is to run 1.5 miles without stopping, but that will take some time. For now I know if I stick to my walking goals I am one step closer to my end goal. If I am able to go without Starbucks, I plan to add to my goal by eliminating some other guilty habits.  I’d like to cut out fast food altogether and cut back my grocery bill, but for now I’m keeping it simple.
Whatever your New Year’s resolution, if you keep things reasonable, measurable and hold yourself accountable for your goals, you’re sure to make progress. Good luck!

~R.K. for Good Buys All the Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment